FoAL organizes fundraising initiatives to benefit the library and plays an important role in advocating on behalf of library issues. Thanks to the support of the community, FoAL’s annual used book sale and letter campaign have raised more than $30,000 to boost library collections, programs, and services. This money is often used to supplement the library collection budget by purchasing large print books, audiobooks, Playaways, and other books that are requested by the community. You can find these items on library shelves by looking for the FoAL label located on the spine of the books.
Here are a few other ways that FoAL has supported the People’s Place:
- Enhanced technology programming for children and youth by purchasing Little Bits kits and a Breakout kit.
- Purchased new chairs for the youth area and a rocking chair for the children’s area.
- Supported children’s programming by purchasing a puppet theatre and sponsoring March Break and the Summer Reading Club events.
- Supported the subscription of Zinio, an online magazine collection.
- Sponsorship of the Antigonish International Film Festival (which donates films to the library.)
- Supported LGBTQ youth through the purchase of new books.
- Enhanced services for newcomers by purchasing multilingual materials.
- Supported library collections for children and youth by purchasing sets of the 100 Best Picture Books and the 100 Books to Celebrate Diversity.
- Helped establish the People’s Place MakerSpace by purchasing a Silhouette and some start-up materials.
- Purchased two therapy lights to help people in our community struggling with Seasonal Affective Disorder.
- Spearheaded a collection of 150 books by Indigenous authors.